Saturday, February 27, 2010

Obstacles



"Grasping is the source of all our problems."

— Sogyal Rinpoche, Tibetan Book of Living and Dying, p. 33




Early March 2009

Being off the internet is a huge pain when it comes to homeschooling.

On the internet are practically limitless resources, answers to questions, to use with homeschooling. We use it like an encyclopedia, with me weeding through all the resources to find the answers.

Right now, I'm becoming very adept at saying, "I don't know." When I remember and can find my notebook of questions, I write the question down in hopes I will remember to bring it to the library later.

Sometimes I forget to bring it. Sometimes the pressing question is no longer so pressing by then, and so it never gets answered. Other times, we head to library and dive headlong into whatever is pressing at that moment, old questions forgotten and new ones arising.

This is when I begin to wonder if, in the balance of things, the internet can make us smarter and more educated. Or if there is value in not answering every single question.

No comments:

Post a Comment